Wednesday 5 May 2010

Cycling Holland











We are there its today its 7.30 and I feel sick and I am sure its not with

anticipation its more like flipping petrification is my body going to do this

for me cause sure as hell my mind isn't! And yes its not weird that all business

people congregate in one area on eurostar its just that coach 5 snd14 are the

only ones with power points.Photographer has decided to start casual no pictures

yet thankgod! 2 hours gets you into Brussels midi for train connection to

Rotterdam. Ok first picture taken wish I had decided now on full make up.!But

wearing my NV London Calcutta bag my vintage Palladium boots and Kuyichi jeans,

instead of waiting 2 whole hours for the connection we have managed to get onto

an earlier train, weird being able to do that to another country!Taking a

forced pee stop and first encounter with clean efficient loos for 50 centimes

these are working machines that will take your change and convert to 50 centimes

the stern but friendly staff explain everything in a variation of languages and

signs! Camera man off on pizza hunt ugh this early its only 0900!!

1.45 hours on and we are already through Antwerp gorgeous sunny day and through

the train windows I have taken a peak at the cycling confederation and thank

god they're not wearing lycra, more like cords and flowery dresses but there

does seem to be a code of some sort all very orderly.

After a swap of trains at Rotterdam we arrive 1500 at Amersfoort having chilled

on the train and checked that yes the land is perfectly flat I am brought back

to reality by just the sheer volume of bikes! A quick respite as we re told at

the information bureau its Queens day tomorrow and there are some major

festivities in town! That's more like it and the idea of meeting tulip tour bike

man becomes a hazy reality! Sitting in the middle of lieve vrouwe kerkhof square

sipping a very very cold blonde beer with a slice of lemon and a gorgeous feta

salad I forget totally why I am here. Amersfoort is truly gorgeous medieval town

and the centre has remained more or less intact. A pilgrimage city , an

important beer brewing town and a trading crossroads have coloured its history!

Were staying at NH hotels and meet bike man who runs the company with mieke his

wife and the bikes. Actually. They're gorgeous and I fall in love

With mine the gears work, the sadle is great and its got every possibility of

carrying me through to the end!after opting for every possible insurance we

go on to enjoy queens day evening free concerts and loads of drink! It makes me

feel like a skiing trip!

And for a first day its all good good!



No comments:

Post a Comment